- Develop and deploy superior genotypes of dedicated hardwood energy crops, leading to a validated collection of varietals ready for commercial planting with improved farm economics and lower risk of crop failures compared to current varietals.
- Refine and deploy sustainable regional feedstock production practices for low input silviculture. Mitigate technology risk for new energy farm management systems by establishing four 200-acre Phase I tree farms and operate them successfully.
- Develop and deploy equipment for seamless feedstock logistics (i.e., harvesting, storage, preprocessing, and transportation) for the new energy farm management regime. Mitigate farm/factory integration risk by delivering Phase I feedstocks to ZC’s Boardman biorefinery and convert them into advanced biofuels.
- Develop and deploy health and safety programs tailored to the needs of the biofuels industry. Mitigate health and safety risks for the new energy farm management system by deploying standard operating procedures and establishing a track record of safe operations.
Note: Research projects at the University of Washington, University of Idaho, Washington State University, and University of California, Davis are supporting development of superior feedstock systems. To learn more, please visit UC Davis at: http://dendrome.ucdavis.edu/NealeLab/pbgp/
CONVERSION & DISTRIBUTION – ZeaChem will lead a program for production and distribution of biobased gasoline and jet/diesel fuels.
- Develop and deploy scalable technologies to convert hardwood energy crops into 100% infrastructure compatible biofuels. Mitigate conversion technology risk by producing multiple 8,000 gallon truckloads of biobased gasoline and jet/diesel from ZC’s existing biorefinery.
- Validate infrastructure compatibility by delivering test quantities of advanced biofuels to consumers through existing marketing and distribution systems.
SUSTAINABILITY – University of Washington’s School of Environmental and Forest Sciences: Biofuels and Bioproducts Lab and UC Davis lead a program on sustainability metrics.
- Provide regional sustainability analyses, data collection, and management tools to support team decision making.
- Assure the project systematically addresses economic, environmental, and social issues, thereby mitigating risk of unintended consequences and building strong support for the industry.